7/16/11

First Craft/ Vendor Show!

I participated in my first craft/ vendor show this week - and although it was poorly attended and I only sold one thing, I think I learned a lot that will help me prepare for the Vintage Bazaar, where I will be a vendor at their pop up flea on Sept 18.

I've been doing vintage sales on Etsy since January, and have decided to try to kick it up a notch after getting "laid off" from my babysitting job this summer.  Crazy as it sounds, for a brief moment, I thought I could make a living doing craft sales.  But with virtually no more money to invest into vintage buying, what was I thinking?

In my unemployedness,  I spent the last week painting windows I got for free on Craigslist into chalkboards.  I think they turned out pretty cute.


I felt really out of place at this fair- most of the vendors were Tupperware sales ladies, or chocolate party sales ladies, or Pampered Chef sales ladies, or dog treat sellers, or baked good sellers... and then there was me, with my little vintage booth.  Granted, it looked pretty darn cute (a whole lot better than I imagined given I was winging it and just hoping everything would look good once I put it all together...) but it wasn't exactly the right venue for me.  Many ladies walked past saying to themselves "That's vintage?  I have that in my kitchen."  And a lot of people were confused as to why I was selling vintage glasses frames.  Just plain confused.  How is that confusing to people?


Oh well.  The vendors were nice, and I got Square all set up so I can take credit card orders at my next fair.  I also learned how much stuff I can pack into the car...

And how great ladders are for displaying things:


You can hang pictures from both sides of it, make shelves out of steps, set things on the top, and fold it all up when you're done!  Fiance helped so much with this - he did great - hammering and pricing and laying things out - so cute of him!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...