12/12/10

Christmas Mantel Wonderland

The holidays have arrived!  I finally managed to find some time this weekend - and spent lots of it around the house finishing the Christmas tree, baking, and decorating.  For reasons I can't explain, Christmas is the only time of year where I get crabby if I don't have time to craft.  There is no explanation for it - although I guess I just can't stand to be away from tinsel and glitter for more than a few hours.  What can I say, shiny things delight me.

I decided to spend this time finishing my Christmas mantel, after being inspired by many great ideas online, notably this one at Mod Vintage Life.  Although I have been collecting little things for a while now, I needed to pick up some supplies.  Too bad I went out in a blizzard (anyone see the Bears game today?) to discover that every craft store in the city of Chicago was out of fake snow spray and ornament hooks. Oh well.


I love my little glitter covered deer...

 and glitter covered trees...




I started out with a collection of magazine trees I've been making in my spare time at work, as well as little trees I've been finding at thrift stores and my little glass insulators.  I wondered, "how do I make these all look like they are from the same world?"


I decided the answer was glitter and Snow Tex.  Lots of it. 

I'm not entirely satisfied with it yet, I think the trees could be more glittery.  It's hard to get a feeling for it with these pictures... I am also not done with the wreath above...next time I have some daylight I'll try to get some better pictures...

Stay Warm*

........................................................................................................

Linking up at...


Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design...

3 comments:

  1. I love your paper trees. You're right.. glitter and snow tied everything together! Thanks for linking up to my holiday home party. Have the merriest of holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the folded trees used to make those when I was a kid with Readers Digest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your magazine trees. Way to go...good use of down time at work. I'm so happy that I inspired you! I've been glittering stuff today. I'll show the rest of my decor very soon.

    It's crazy how everyone runs out of snow, hooks and tiny white lights too.

    Looks like you are having a Merry Little Christmas in your little forest.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...